Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pediatrician Interviews

Brian and I have been to interview a couple of pediatricians this week. And let me just tell you how important it is to do this. My mother laughed at me and could not figure out why we would need to interview a doctor. She said go by word of mouth and who your friends see and most likely you will like their pediatrician also. Well not so true.
Pedi A- picked randomly by walking through an office bldg. I called, made an appt and we were seen promptly, it was very personal, and she answered all of our questions without rushing us out of the door. They are a small office with 4 full time docs and 1 part time, they have saturday hours-by appt only, they have office nurse to answer questions during office hours and an answering service with Pedi nurses to answer questions. She spends any where from 30-45 minutes with patients depending on what is going on with babies. They have a separate area for well babies and sick babies. I was impressed but wanted to see what Pedi B had to offer.
Pedi B- found good reviews online, heard good things about him from Brian's co-worker. I called, made an appt for interview-she said he does interviews the 2nd thursday every month at 1pm. Ok- We will be there. Upon arrival I noticed that there was not a separate waiting area for well and sick babies. We were placed in a conference room with 6-7 other couples. It was very impersonal. They have a huge office with 7 full time docs and 3 triage nurses during office hours and an answering service with pedi nurses at night. They have office hours 7 days a week. And he sees about 6 patients an hour or roughly spends about 15 minutes with each one. He tells us about the office and Then we get to ask questions, a couple of people asked and then I asked about twins. He laughed and gave some wise crack answer that I was just not so impressed with. Needless to say we will not be choosing him for our pedi doc.
It just goes to show you how important it is to meet this person who is going to be caring for your child for the next 18 yrs. The one with no references or referrals was the better choice for me and Brian. The one that had referrals and references and all the bells and whistles is not the one that is right for Brian and I.

0 comments: